Every item to be processed using Charges must be set up in Inventory as a Material, Labor, or Expense (MLE) item. This means every item in Oracle Applications that may need repair must be set up as a Charges MLE item.
Billing Categories classify Billing Types into Material, Labor, and Expense. Each serviceable item in Inventory is classified using Billing Type Codes associated to a Billing Category.
A Service Activity Code is a type of action to be performed, for example, replace, return, install, drain, fill. The combination of Billing Type and Service Activity defines the Order Type for a given operating unit. It also provides the basis upon which discounts for a Service Contract can be applied.
Charges is a module of Oracle TeleService. Setting up Charges for all service-related processing consists of steps that serves a variety of Oracle applications, including Oracle Depot Repair.
Setting up Oracle Charges for Depot Repair processing includes the following setups :
- Defining Billing Type Codes
- Mapping Billing Type Codes to Billing Categories
- Defining Service Activities and Billing Types
- Defining Service Business Processes
- Defining Installed Base Transaction Sub Types
- Setting Up Time and Material Labor Schedules
To define Transaction Billing Type Codes:
1. From the Navigator, use the following path to open the Oracle Service Lookups window:
Service Request > Setup > Customer Support Lookups.
2. Query up the Lookup Type MTL_SERVICE_BILLABLE_FLAG.
3. Add the new required Billing Type Codes. You can use the online help for more information.
The seeded Billing Type Codes are M, L, and E.